Response to COVID-19: End-to-end Patient and Hospital Management System
Initially when COVID-19 began to affect India, the Government of NCT of India managed COVID-19 patient data using a spreadsheet-based system designed when the city had few cases. As infection rates increased rapidly, this system was unable to keep up with the influx. It was becoming difficult to efficiently monitor and manage the growing cases in Delhi. The government urgently required an end-to-end data management system to manage healthcare services for COVID-19 patients. From early May 2020, DDC along with the support from IDinsight assisted the Health Department to establish and maintain an end-to-end patient and facility management system, especially developed to address the growing concerns related to COVID-19.
An integrated data portal was designed to manage data on COVID-19 patients and hospital occupancy in Delhi. The portal reflected local realities and provided actionable information for operational and policy decisions. The dashboard developed from this data provided real-time snapshots of the status of COVID-19’s transmission in the city. The portal allowed an in-depth analysis of data on testing, patient outcomes, and hospital bed availability in the city.
The end-to-end Patient and Hospital Management System played a crucial role in organizing Delhi’s efforts against COVID-19.
- The portal collated data regarding the patients in an easily accessible form, which enabled the Government to monitor the status of every COVID-19 patient in Delhi
- Robust patient management system which made contact tracing easier for district officials
- A dashboard was created to track testing, positivity rate and recovery cycle in Delhi
- Insightful bulletins were created, with the help of IDinsight, which gave a detailed analysis of the data collected and recognised patterns of the viral infection (see Download section)
- The portal was later used to prepare a dashboard that displayed the availability of hospital beds to the public.